Did you know that a few simple exercises are the first steps to keeping your feet healthy and pain free? Whether you are planning a day of power shopping, hiking in an exotic locale or dancing the night away, take a few minutes to get your feet ready for your next adventure.
Grab a chair and a few things you probably have laying around your house and take the first steps to better foot health.
- Toe Stretch
- Sit in a chair with your feet on the floor and toes spread apart as far as possible without pain.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds, then release.
- Repeat for 10 reps.1
- Plantar Fascia Stretch
- Sit on a chair, remove your socks and cross one leg over the opposite knee.
- Sit up tall with your back straight.
- Interlace your fingers between your toes.
- Using your hand move your foot counterclockwise getting as much movement in your ankle, foot and toes as possible. Repeat for 10-20.
- Change to a clockwise direction and repeat 10-20 times.
- Repeat both exercises on the opposite foot.2
- Ball Stretch
- Use a tennis ball or golf ball that is in good condition.
- Keep one foot on the ground and place the ball under the arch of the opposite foot.
- Apply as much pressure as is comfortable.
- Slowly roll the ball along the sole of your foot, holding it at tender spots until the tension is reduced.
- Repeat the exercise on the other foot.3
- Towel Stretch
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Using a towel that has been rolled along the long edge, place the towel around your toes
- Gently pull the towel toward you while you feel a comfortable stretch.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds and then release for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat for 3 reps1
Ah, that feels better. But if your foot fatigue or pain persists, consider talking to your physician for additional options including custom orthotics.