Since the ’90s, SOLO has had an on-site chaplain. Pastor Nate Herrlin provides spiritual support and encouragement through prayer groups, Bible studies, and personal counseling at SOLO.
What is the best thing about working at SOLO?
Something I really appreciate at SOLO is that their mission, “Serve Others, Love Others” doesn’t just apply to customers, but also employees. Every person here matters.
My wife Anne and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this year! We have four kids – Abby is a senior in high school, Joanna is a sophomore, Karis is in eighth grade, and Ethan is in fourth grade. We also have three wonderful goldfish.
How do you see your role impacting the lives of others at SOLO?
I think the fact that SOLO has a chaplain serves as an ongoing reminder of the spiritual side of SOLO. This company wants to honor God as a business. And since I’m on-site, I can be available when a need comes up, as well as for the regular interactions I have in prayer groups and other groups like SmartDollar®.
What is a common misconception about your role?
I think a common misconception is that I’m here for the Christian employees. I’m here for all employees and the leaders too. If someone needs a listening ear, I’m here for that. And if I can help someone find their way back to God, I’m all about it!
What are some of the jobs you’ve had that are not related to the ministry? What did you like and not like? Feel free to add why.
During my college years, I was a waiter at Friendly’s. I loved the interaction with “regulars” and the “irregular” income. Depending on tips taught me to trust God to provide, and He did!
Before I became a full-time pastor, I worked at Citizens Bank here in Kutztown. I loved getting to know customers and helping them make good financial decisions. What I didn’t like was when I started seeing people as a sales opportunity. I was thankful when I was able to devote myself full-time as a pastor, which is also when I became the chaplain here at SOLO.
Select one Bible verse that inspires you and tell us why?
Philippians 1:6 is one of my favorites: “Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ.” Whether it’s for myself or someone I care about, God finishes what He starts. That takes a good bit of the worry out of working with people. I may get to be part of the process, but it’s ultimately God’s work.
5 Fast Fun Facts about Pastor Nate Herrlin
- Favorite food? Seafood lasagna. My wife made it for my birthday one year and it was amazing!
- What is your favorite book (not the Bible) and why? “Les Misérables,” unabridged. A friend told me it was the best book about grace outside of the Bible. After reading it, I agree!
- What is your hobby? How did you get started in this hobby? Trout fishing. I grew up in Vermont and we had a trout stream right behind our house. I loved fishing all summer on that stream.
- If you were locked in your house for one week, what five things must you have? My wife and kids, homemade chocolate chip cookies, a good book, a board game (like Settlers of Catan), and a toothbrush (gotta brush my teeth!).
- What is your favorite season and why? WINTER! I love snow sports! Sledding, downhill skiing, and jumping off my porch roof into massive piles of snow!
Leave a reply